Sunday, December 31, 2017

Monsters, Gods, Lana

Monsters, Gods, Lana
Without a doubt my favorite current female singer ("current" meaning let's say under the age of 50) is Lana Del Rey. I tumble to her. I fall for her. She can do anything. If I met her I might say "Lead me anywhere and I will go."
She is like a mermaid. She has a little-girl voice which is also the voice of a mature sexy woman. She is humble, coy, wise, and overpowering in a way beyond her years. Her eyes seem ageless, deep magical pools into which one could dive without worry or regret. Her voice is that of an angel, or maybe a siren, maybe a powerful queen of the fairy realm. It reaches to very high registers which waver on the limits of the ineffable. Then it drops down to authoritative lows which sound like a woman who knows who she is and what she wants.
Her singing, no matter how cleverly crafted the words, seems to emerge from a soul poised in self-surety, not needing but inviting. Could one be the favored? She coos, Why not? Because she does not need nor blame nor seduce, she is eminently seductive as if not trying and as if scorning the very idea though not averse to its inevitable consequences. Loose woman? Only loose enough to lasso while looking the other way.
I just looked at her birth-chart, but became a fan long before looking. I postponed it because I did not want to break the spell by analyzing her. However, I find nothing in her chart to disappoint me. Venus in Taurus is coincident with many excellent singers, such as Ella Fitzgerald, Judy Collins and Sarah Vaughan. Taurus rules the throat and voice and Venus is its ruler, so when in its own sign it grants an amazing voice usually. The "water" quality of her emotional-but-not-sentimental songs, which is why I mentioned mermaids, goes along with Mars and Mercury in Cancer trine Saturn in Scorpio, water signs. Her sun at 29 Gemini has the Sabian symbol "A crowd upon the beach," keyword: Charm. This goes right along with her songs "High by the Beach" and "West Coast." There is much more I could say, but . . .
The two tracks I'm including here are diametrical opposites, the first apparently "Satanic" in some ways and the second apparently "devotional" in an interesting way. If, after hearing the first, you think she is superficial, the second may change your mind. The woman cannot be easily classified, which is part of her fascination.
I wrote about Lana here before I noticed that the title of the forecast today is "Humanity as Mystery" which is exactly what Lana reminds me of! Also, in the forecast there is the sentence "People feel their bodies are worth noting and there could be voluptuousness." That was a condensation by me of a symbol for the day of Seer Charubel, "A female in the state of nudity." If you listen to the first of the songs I included above by Lana, you will sense what that is about and why I happened to listen to Lana today and write about her. I did not ask for Facebook or Youtube to list her whole Lust for Life album here---actually I like her Honeymoon album best, but there are great songs on all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment