Saturday, September 12, 2015

Introductions to Sri Aurobindo's Yoga and Teaching

A reader asked me what would be a good introduction to Sri Aurobindo's teaching. Here is my reply:

Paula,

I was afraid someone would ask that question! It's a hard one because Sri Aurobindo wrote so much, and it all appears daunting at first sight because the paragraphs are long, the sentences are long, and some Sanskrit words are included in the writing regularly (but not very many). Also, since his writings are not only intellectual but brilliantly, intuitively spiritual, one can dip into them at almost any point and find that one is somehow prepared for that particular paragraph or sentence because it is written in a way to awaken one's spiritual intuitions. Here are some suggestions:

1. The Life Divine is generally regarded as his single most complete prose work. The edition I am familiar with is in two volumes. I understand that it, and almost all his writings, are available to read for free online, but I had not done much of that since I have had hard copies for decades. If you study The Life Divine, you could select just the chapters which interest you the most. He covers and re-covers the same territory frequently, yet never just for repetition, always with important variations. If you want to read it consecutively, fine. And don't hesitate to re-read the same sentence two or three or four times! It is material for contemplation, not for quick digestion. If you choose particular chapters, I might suggest XIV, The Supermind as Creator; XVII, The Divine Soul; XVIII, Mind and Supermind; XXIII, The Double Soul in Man; XXVIII, Supermind, Mind and the Overmind Maya. The terminology may seem strange but as it becomes familiar it is wonderfully satisfying because all-explanatory. 

Then, in Book Two of The Life Divine, Chapters II and III are very important: "Brahman, Purusha, Ishwara--Maya, Prakriti, Shakti" and "The Eternal and the Individual." I believe these chapters answer the question "What or who is God?" perhaps better than anything I have read. Sri Aurobindo rescues G*d from the impersonality and abstractness of much Hindu metaphysics and allows Him to be utterly personal--not only Father but Mother, Child, Friend, even Playmate. Since He is infinite, how could he not be any or all of these things as He pleases? These are his Lilas, in Hindu tradition, His "plays" or games with His creation. Sri Aurobindo's G*d is not a remote abstraction but a God of Love incarnate. 

2. That leads to another possible beginning, his other major work, The Synthesis of Yoga. I recommend, from it, the chapters in Part Three, The Yoga of Divine Love. The chapter titles are suggestive: Love and the Triple Path, The Motives of Devotion, The Godward Emotions, The Way of Devotion, The Divine Personality, The Delight of the Divine, The Ananda [Bliss] Brahman, and The Mystery of Love. For some, this might be the best possible introduction to Sri Aurobindo. One could read these chapters without benefit of what precedes or follows them in the 872-page book. Others, who are not so much drawn to the Yoga of devotion and love, might better look elsewhere.

3. Another possibility is a remarkable book, Sri Aurobindo On Himself, which is a compilation of a lot of important less-formal writings such as brief articles and letters to students. Most would do well to skip the first few chapters on Sri Aurobindo's historical involvement with the Indian independence movement, and jump into the chapters about his entrance into the Yogic path. Then there are a lot of very lucid writings and letters from him to students about his approach. It's a book one can browse in easily, skipping around and reading what feels relevant at any time. I loaned this book to a Christian Science practitioner who said that it chimed in perfectly with many of his own experiences.
 
4. I have been reading an online book titled The Divine Plan, said to be "by Sri Aurobindo" but I am sure it is a compilation from his writings. Unfortunately the version I am reading, on the Oyster Internet book service, does not indicate who the compiler or editor is or even the source of the writings, which is disturbing. I feel they are authentically Sri Aurobindo's writings, perhaps from his voluminous Letters on Yoga (or elsewhere). There are typographical errors here and there. Yet I find that this is an excellent introduction to his teaching. The scholarship could be better but it is easy to read, in comparison with most of his writings. I am uneasy about compilations, yet this is somewhat of a tour de force.

5. I have to mention Savitri, Sri Aurobindo's epic poem. But I will not say anything about it here. Either one appreciates it or one doesn't; but it repays constant reading and musing. Some say that it contains in essence his whole teaching. Yes, I think it does, but I recommend studying the prose works also. For me Savitri is very powerful and uplifting, but its power increases as one knows more about the Yoga lying behind it. 

That's about the best I could do. Then, for those who want to explore what The Mother said and did (his celibate partner in the Yoga), there are the thirteen incredible, remarkable, nonpareil volumes of The Mother's Agenda, available free online. I have downloaded them to my phone so I can read them anywhere and they are an elixir. 

Hugh

3 comments:

  1. thanks. https://agendamother.wordpress.com/agenda/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first read was "The Integral Yoga" which is also a compilation, edited by "The Lotus Press". I liked it very much, I think it is a good compilation. (In the rear of the book every source paragraph by paragraph is listed.) Unfortunately, this book does not exist online, to my knowledge.

    About "The Life Divine" and "The Integral Yoga": for me, these are like brother and sister, or husband and wife :),
    "The Life Divine" being the theoretical part of Aurobindo's world-view, and
    "The Synthesis of Yoga" the practical part: how to actually *live* it. They go hand in hand. I read "The Synthesis of Yoga" first and I liked it very much, and I needed some years before I began "The Life Divine".

    What I am saying: I would recommend to begin with "The Integral Yoga" (paperbook) and then continue with "The Synthesis of Yoga", then let that sit for a while :D before tackling "The Life Divine".

    About Mirra (I do not really like "Mother"...)... I would recommend to begin with the "Questions and Answers", these conversations from I think '51 on up to sixty something. And wait quite a while before having the courage for the xx volumes of the "agenda" :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is priceless information to me. Thank you so very much. I cannot believe I never thought to ask. Wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete