Thursday, September 27, 2018

Message for Friday 28 September 2018

Friday 28 September 2018

\Player or Ideal Personified/

Moon in Taurus
/moon goes void-of-course at 3:37p PT | 6:37p ET | 10:37p UT

I am very late writing this because like many I felt almost hypnotized by the hearings on Thursday. While I watched Christine Blasey Ford testify, I believed in her; while I watched Brett Kavanaugh testify, I believed in him. If I were a senator, I might vote against him not because I believe the allegations, but because of his stand on various things like pollution standards and criminal law. We need prison reform in a big way and I am not sure he would support anything other than harsh sentencing and cruelty, which is the right-wing approach and very wrong. We need environmental protections unless we are to become like India and China, in whose large cities those who can afford it have to wear gas masks in order to breathe and protect their health. I think he would be on the side of the polluters as are most on the Right. Those are the reasons I would not support him, not because of unverifiable allegations about what he did one day while in high school. 

Friday:  Those who labor hard and long eventually gain a reward. Today many are hypercritical, "Two bulls fighting," maybe Democrats and Republicans, fault-finders losing their tempers. So they should get back to their assigned work and do it dutifully.

Those who look to the past find it beautiful and inspiring, like relic-hunters. One might visit a restaurant which feels like an old friend. You want company and brotherly or sisterly relations with people, as at "a fellowship supper."

"A performer of a mystery play" seems to embody the peculiarity of the Blasey-Kavanaugh conflict, as if we were all, male and female, called to understand something beyond the surface of the accusations and counter-accusations, a "mystery" of human integrity being called up for review.  "A man or woman wearing a mask as in a play" is the correlative symbol from Signor Borelli. I told a friend that Kavanaugh's tears Thursday, or almost-tears, while he was getting very emotional in his defense of himself and his good relations with women and his love for them and all his friends, made me feel he was telling the truth. The friend replied that people can fake tears, "wearing a mask as in a play." I replied that perhaps Ms. Blasey-Ford was also guilty of acting a bit, because her little-girl demeanor and voice struck me as a little contrived. She did not sound like "Dr. Ford" but like a lost little high-school girl and I felt much of this was consciously or semi-consciously contrived to gain sympathy, "wearing a mask as in a play." Yet I do not judge, nor do I judge Kavanaugh. We are all somewhat masked players, perhaps.

"Hunters starting out for ducks" sounds like the "search and destroy" accusation which Kavanaugh laid against the Democrats, and which Trump echoed in a tweet with the same words. "Search and destroy" is of course what hunters do. On the other side, the Democrats might say that the Republicans were trying to "search and destroy" Blasey's credibility. Was she the duck, or Kavanaugh?  Rather than masked players or ducks, we are looking for "The ideals of a man abundantly crystallized," that is, someone who personifies human ideals, to be a Supreme Court justice. Some may think they have found him in Kavanaugh. I demur, but I will not be voting with the Senate. Each of us apart from courts and politics may have to find or believe in someone who personifies those crystallized ideals for us, on our own. Who might it be for you?  Someone you love?

{Friday}  /Player or Ideal Personified\

Cosmic Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment