Friday, February 13, 2015

Saturday and Sunday, 14-15 February 2015

Saturday and Sunday 14-15 February 2015

\Happy Valentine's Day to Master Dogen/

/moon goes void-of-course Saturday at 7:16a PT | 10:16a ET | 3:16p UT
until it enters Capricorn at 2:25p PT | 5:25p ET | 10:25p UT
Moon remains in Capricorn Sunday, on course

For me this Friday the 13th has been a good-luck day disguised somewhat as bad luck. Actually I recovered something I had lost on the 12th, materially. Then I felt disquieted by some strange spiritual influences which, it turns out, were not strange really but from a tradition other than my own.

I am starting to feel even more than ever that it is good for us, sometimes, while remaining loyal to our own spiritual tradition, whatever it be, to dip into, at least, other traditions. I know there are purists who might say that if you are not going to be totally serious about a spiritual path, and follow it wholeheartedly, it is better to leave it alone.

I do not agree.

The key here is respect. If you bow to the teacher from a different path, before, during, and after receiving his or her teaching--perhaps in a book or perhaps a lecture--and do your utmost to respect the teacher and teaching, and learn as much from it as possible, you will also be giving back to the teacher and teaching your heart, your consciousness, your good will. And you will be blessed.

For years I have said, whenever Buddhism was mentioned, "I am not a Buddhist but a follower of Sri Aurobindo and of Jesus." And that is true. (I am also a student of the Western occult tradition.) But I knew full well that there was a lot to be learned within Buddhism, a teaching of a different flavor. For two days I have been reading a book of the writings of Zen Master Dogen (1200-1253). And I bow to him. I respect him deeply.

And so for a brief interval I felt, "Maybe this is my path." After trying some of the practices recommended or required, such as the Zazen sitting meditation, I realized, once again, as I had realized decades ago, that this is not really my path. But I continued reading the book and am very happy that I did. I am learning a great deal from Master Dogen. I spoke to his invisible presence and called him "friend" and hoped that he did not mind my doing so. I told him that he was on a different path from mine but that I was happy to learn what I could from him anyway. And I believe that he does not mind. I hope so anyway.

This is typical of a Mercury Retrograde period. Well, now of the continuing Dark Hermetic Epoch. We need the flavor of something different from our usual procedures, in order to avoid being in a rut. Then we return to our own traditions with renewed understanding of them and what they mean to us.

I feel that this is all I need to say on this particular weekend. I hope that St. Valentine will bless you with the trueness of the truth of the love we seek, find, lose, and seek again . . . And I think he shall, this year, because of the conjunction of Mars and Venus in Pisces, the sign Venus's exaltation. In it she becomes not just romantic but universal love. Or, as the Buddhists express it, "Compassion for all beings." 

From the Master Dogen, nine centuries ago:

" 'Beneficial action' is to benefit all classes of sentient beings skillfully, that is, to care about their distant and near future and to help them by using skillful means. In ancient times, someone helped a caged tortoise; another took care of a sick sparrow. They did not expect a reward; they were moved to do so only for the sake of beneficial action.

"Foolish people think that if they help others first, their own benefit will be lost, but this is not so. Beneficial action is an act of oneness, benefiting self and others together."

"Know that to give to yourself is a part of giving. To give to your family is also giving. Even when you give a particle of dust, you should rejoice in your own act because you authentically transmit the merit of all buddhas and begin to practice an act of a bodhisattva. The mind of a sentient being is difficult to change. Keep on changing the minds of sentient beings, from the moment that you offer one valuable to the moment that they attain the way. This should be initiated by giving. Thus, giving is the first of the six paramitas [manifestations].

"Mind is beyond measure. Things given are beyond measure. And yet, in giving, mind transforms the gift and the gift transforms mind."

"There is a simple way to become a buddha: When you refrain from unwholesome actions, are not attached to birth and death, and are compassionate toward all sentient beings, respectful to seniors and kind to juniors, not excluding or desiring anything, with no thoughts or worries, you will be called a buddha. Seek nothing else."

--from The Essential Dogen, Shambhala, Boston & London, 2013

{Saturday and Sunday} /Happy Valentine's Day to Master Dogen\

Cosmic Piper
 

No comments:

Post a Comment